CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Blogging Debut

I have been reading blogs for close to a year now and became inspired to create my own. Therefore, I would like to start by sharing what I did this past Monday. I'm involved with my church in MOYC (mothers of young children) community service. Several moms visited the Grace Center which is a home for homeless teenage expecting and new mothers. There were about 10 girls present and we brought dinner and made those no sew blankets with the girls. I can't stop thinking about those ladies. There was a 4 day old baby to a 15 year old and a pregnant 16 year old who also has a 3 year old. Incredible. The gal who runs the center is amazing. She is saving babies by opening up the center (by word of mouth and Catholic Charities) should these young ladies have no place to live or care for their babies. The girls arrive with nothing and they provide clothes, school supplies, etc. . . for both mom and baby. I now want to clean out my basement of all the stuff I don't need that could be put to good use. The gal that runs the center explained that all the ladies had something in common and that is that they just want to be loved. Unfortunately having a baby is their cure for this low self esteem. I was so moved by the new moms and will keep them in my prayers.
Also, what a great message to this blog debut then to plug the KC Buddy Walk 2008! Please join our team Ashtin's Power (link on the right sidebar) by walking with our team or supporting by donating. The date is October 18th which is also Down Syndrome Awareness month! For $20 you will receive a Buddy Walk t-shirt with Ashtin's Power on the back, lunch, and over 25 vendors and entertainers for the kids. If you have never been it's truly a great family day and a way to show inclusion that our kiddo's with DS are more alike then different. Above, is a picture of Ashtin celebrating her first birthday!

3 comments:

Lyndal said...

We are planning on coming to the Buddy Walk! For a while I was thinking my 20 yr class reunion was that same weekend, but it's not.

We'll talk to you guys later about details.

The McMurphys.

Anonymous said...

hey diane! i am so glad we talked about the buddy walk the other night....i am waiting to hear back from someone about it...i went online and requested sponsor info. :)

Janelle said...

Ashtin is just beautiful!