CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ashtin's Birth Story Part 4

So we arrived at the hospital at 12:30AM and my doctor arrived just in time. After 20 minutes of pushing Ashtin Kate was born at 2:21AM (4 hours earlier then I was to be induced). She was beautiful and crying. I was tired and very relieved to no longer be pregnant. The nurses took Ashtin to suction and examine her while the doctor stayed with me. Everything happened so quickly that we did not have our bags OR camera in the room with us. Kevin stayed with Ashtin as she was going under an oxygen hood because of difficulties breathing. I asked the doctor why my water never broke and he explained that she dropped so soon and her head served as a cork. When she was born, the water followed. Kevin came back into my room and told me the nurses asked him to come check on me (red flag). I was trying to relax so I told him to go get our bags and camera in the car. Dr. B returned to my room and asked about Kevin's whereabouts. He pulled up a chair and told me that Ashtin looked great, scored a 9 on the Apgar, and was showing physical traits of Down Syndrome. He explained that a neonatologist would examine her in the morning and a fish test would determine if she did have Trisomy 21. The Doctor continued to explain that there are 3 different types of DS, many different levels of severity, early intervention, and that she is first a baby and will do things on her own time. He explained that medically babies breathe opposite in utero and her oxygen level had nothing to do with her traits of DS. He also said that he had stopped counting the number of babies he delivered at 500 but new that he could be close to 800 and that this was his first to have DS. I heard everything he was saying but honestly my first thought was she will never be able to have children. When asked if I had any questions, I again asked if I could have any pain relievers! Kevin walked into the room and Dr. B had just told him out in the hallway. He was near tears and experienced more emotions towards the news. The week before Ashtin was born we finally put up a stencil saying in our bathroom, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Maybe not having any meds during the delivery and feeling all the pain strengthened me. I know my feelings and reactions were quite different from others who went through this experience. I also knew that God would only give me what I could handle and Ashtin was still loved. ***Ashtin was moved to another hospital the next day with a level 3 NICU. She only stayed 3 nights and boarded in our room the last night. We are very blessed that she did not have any heart defects or feeding issues.

0 comments: